Monday, April 11, 2011

Spread The Love!

Hello again,

I must say the band and crew are all having a blast this tour and we appreciate all your positive vibes you have been passing back to us.

It's also great that many of you are recognizing the extra spark Kevin has been giving lately. We have always loved Kevin but Since Jeff has joined the band, he's been spending extra time working to be the best he can be. He also has plans to expand his tonal pallet by augmenting his bass selection. He debuted his new Jack Casady Epiphone bass the last night of the Great American run. ...Talk about giving off good vibrations! ...And some more custom work is coming which will improve it even more. Go Kevin!

We are hearing from many different directions that the band is sounding the best it ever has and this is the best line up yet. I don't know how to respond to this subjective comment other than to say thanks and that the band is feeling "it" in a serious way.

Perhaps it is time to let others, who are outside our circle, know how you feel. In the past, many have experienced resistance from those who discount us for being a cover band. They couldn't get past that little box they put us in to give us a chance. What you know and what we know is that the only thing that matters about this particular confluence we all have going is the music.... GD music played with the highest musicality we can muster. And that this is a LIVE music experience that is meant to be shared with a room full of people who are all helping to make the room take off and fly.

I've been noticing the word is getting around to people who were once critical of our approach and that now, they have opened up to the fun that can be had. We seem to be less controversial today as more people seem to be coming into some semblance of agreement that we do have a measure of worth. Again, some of you are expressing that worth in very strong ways. We hear you and it does matter to us because without you there is no music. The controversy seems to end (or turn into something a little more fun) by the reluctant person of the past getting in the same room with all of us and letting the music do it's thing.

Perhaps it is time to try your friends again... the ones who wouldn't listen before. ... or the online social networks and message boards that wouldn't listen before. Perhaps it is time for you, my dear DSO blog reader :), to go out unto the world and spread the love.

I know this may start to be sounding like a sermon and perhaps it is. All I know is that there is something in the air.... something new is waiting to be born and the time is now! Let's all of us help make this magic happen.... together!

AND THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR PARTICIPATION AND GOOD VIBES!

Dino

5 comments:

  1. Dino that was very well said. DSO's worth is immeasurable. Kevin's new spark is wonderful and adds even more to the band. As one of those former skeptics ( I came on board when Jeff joined the band as I am a longtime student of his as well as a longtime Zen Tricksters fan ) I have been doing exactly that Dino, spreading the word that Dark Star Orchestra is a great, fun band and better Grateful Dead music you won't hear ( sorry Phil & Bobby ). So keep up the good work, you'll be playing bigger venues before the year is out !! Peace, Ellis

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for that little slice of wisdom. look forward to seeing you Friday night at the Boulder Theatre. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dino, I'm right there with you. A few years back I was one of those who had never experienced DSO and was reluctant to go see a Dead "cover band." Having been on tour with Jerry and the boys for many years, I thought my days of experiencing that particular experience were over. But one night at the El Rey in Los Angeles, you guys blew my mind and I've been spreading the word ever since. You are not, in my mind, a cover band at all, but quite simply put, one if the best jam bands out there on the scene today. To be honest, for my taste and money, you ARE the best. I literally long for the nights when you are here. It gives me something magical to look forward to months in advance. And I always bring newcomers with me. Whether they're new to the Dead's music or just your interpretation. And I will keep spreading the word, not just in my neck of the woods, but with friends across the nation. You have some serious east coast fans now directly due to my blogging about you guys and my unstoppable enthusiasm every time I get to see you all work your magic. My one question, and it's a selfish one, why have you guys skipped Southern California this time around? Truly, I have friends waiting to be turned on and I, myself, was all psyched up for your usual Spring visit. Between work and finances, traveling to see you guys (even up to wonderful S.F.) is not an option. But a local show ANYWHERE down here is something I refuse to miss. And I know I'm not alone. Please, if at all possible, you have fans down here feeling mighty left out. We're ready to dance any time you feel ready to play. Just know we're here. And thanks for everything you are doing. You have certainly brought the magic and joy back into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff exists/plays in a timeless time warp...Rob Barraco understands this and he and Jeff play on a level few can comprehend but all can appreciate. It's no surprise to me their energy inspires fellow band members. I was the greatest DSO critic once but now consider them to be an original phenomena, a dragon breathing fire and kicking ass...it's NEVER been done better...NEVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. have been a fan for quite a while and the addition of jeff mattson was an great move. i always liked john and at first was questioning myself whether you guys would still sound the same without him. after seeing the new years show you played at the klein theater it pretty much cleared that up. it was by far the best show i have ever seen you guys play. you should start playin new years shows there every year. i just wish you guys would play more dates in CT and NYC area throughout the year. never saw you guys as a so-called "cover band", your a tribute band. tribute bands pay homage to the music and the scene itself. theres always gonna be haters who think they know it all because they saw the dead back in 1983 or whenever but they obviously dont truly love this music if they cant see past the fact that you guys arnt the grateful dead and never will be. no one will. someone needs to keep it alive and you guys do the best job of it. there comes a point where you can only listen to so many dead shows on the archive before you wanna hear a band actually play these songs and dance your ass off. keep it rockin'... see ya at toads this weekend.

    ReplyDelete